Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My World - The Flower Carpets

floral carpet (Click to enlarge)
Las Alfombras de La Orotava

One of the flower petal carpets being made in the streets of La Orotava for the celebrations of Corpus Christi, June 2007. They are made from fresh flower petals, chopped green heather and a little of natural volcanic sands, used to edge the borders. This is an annual event where the procession from the church in the evening of the same day walks upon the carpets on the way to the ceremony in the town plaza. Thus the carpets last for only one day.

To see more world photos click here.

This year the carpets will be made on June 18, so I hope to be able to visit and take more photos. Here are some from a previous year as they are being made early in the morning.

christo image
image
carpet
facing plaza
boy
La Orotava is a beautiful town full of historic monuments and gardens, situated on the northwest coast of the island of Tenerife in the Canary Islands, Spain.

13 comments:

Joe Todd said...

Thanks for sharing your part of the world. How do they keep the flowers from just blowing away?

Luiz Ramos said...

Beautiful works.
Here, we have Corpus Christi carpets too. They are beautiful religious handmade.
Luiz Ramos

PS. Beautiful your blog and pictures.

Canarybird said...

Thanks for the visit to my blog!

Joe I think because the carpets are a one day spectacle and the streets are so narrow there, that with the crowds walking along the edges, there's no chance that any wind could get through with enough force to move the petals.

Joyce said...

I am peaking at your blog today after I stumbled upon World Tuesday and I am in awe of your photos of the flower carpets. Wish I could step into your photos and be there. I love to play with flour and the Frangallo dessert is new to me. I have to make that since you say it is tasty and the photos look delicious. I will be back to peak at your lovely blog again in the future.
Joyce

Carver said...

Wow, those are amazing. So much beauty!

Gaelyn said...

They seem far too beautiful to walk on. I suppose it's symbolic. Reminds me of the Hopi sand paintings in some ways.

Monica said...

What beautiful art work they are creating with flowers. It must be something to see in person. Thanks for sharing.

Gattina said...

In Brussels they do the same every two years on the Grand Place it is very beautiful !
Indeed you live very close to Morocco ! Worthwhile to see the landscapes of the south. Very beautiful but often they reminded me the landscapes around the Teide. I know Tenerife quite well because we have a timesharing appartment in Torviscas/Las Americas and went there nearly each year in the from 94 on. The last years we exchanged to other places.

Gattina said...

I forgot, if ever you have a comment write me an email, I never go back once I have commented on a post.

Arija said...

Fabulous flower carpets, so much work for such a short time...transient as life itself.

Canarybird said...

Thank you everyone. Yes I am looking forward to seeing the flower carpets again this year. They start making them early in the morning and at the end of the day they are scattered underfoot by the beautiful candlelight procession.

erin said...

the flower carpets are beautiful. enjoyed stopping by and visiting your blog.
have a lovely week.

Estherk said...

Thank you for sharing this with the rest of the world! The flower carpets are beautiful! Hope to see your pictures from this year soon :-)

Have a good weekend.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin