Friday, January 29, 2010

84 ~ Brightest Moon of the Year

moon Manual...f/4.5...1/160...ISO 50...focal length 84.2mm

Tonight, January 29th is apparently the night when we have the brightest moon of the whole year 2010.
Here is a news clip about it.

So after reading that I ran outdoors to see that we have a beautiful clear night sky and overhead this enormous full moon. What luck! So often when there is a meteorite shower or other celestial event we have heavy drifting clouds from the northeast trade winds. But not tonight.

As I don't yet have a telephoto lens for my main camera, I took my little point & shoot Olympus SP560UZ with the 18x zoom and my tripod. After some adjustments I caught a few good shots which are probably my best attempts at photographing the moon. So I'm very pleased.

Here are the details: Camera set to Manual (M), f/4.5, 1/160, ISO 50.
I used the tripod and the self-timer.

More details on How to Photograph the Moon on my photography blog.

10 comments:

Christine B. said...

Sensational shot...I can practically see the little moon men! As luck would have it, we are cloudy here so I have to enjoy the moon vicariously through generous souls like yourself.

Christine in Alaska

debsgarden said...

Wow! Fantastic photo! What a romantic evening that must have been for those in tune to such things. I'm afraid we've had cloudy nights and I missed this, though I am not sure it would have been the same here. There's a steady rain tonight.

Anna Flowergardengirl™ said...

I won't be able to see it cause we have tons of snow coming down. I bet it's beautiful there and sure enjoyed your header.

CherylR said...

Wow, what a great shot. I need to get my new camera soon. Beautiful.

Kyna said...

Fabulous!!! O_O

Noel Morata said...

aloha, thats a pretty good shot with a point and shoot, they are amazing with the zoom potential now, it really looks huge and detailed, congrats on the capture.

i can't wait to read more of your future posts!

Amy said...

What a wonderful photo! ~Amy

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this great image! it was cloudy here, and we couldn't see the moon.

Canarybird said...

Thank you all for your visits and kind comments. I'll be over to visit you soon.

It was lucky that the sky was totally clear long enough for me to take many trial shots (fuzzy ones) until I found the right exposure and before the moon was too high overhead.

As it was I had to lean far back until nearly lying down to get the moon in my sights. And shortly afterward the clouds came over and totally covered the sky.

I hope everyone is having better weather with spring on its way. I think there's been enough snow!

cheers,
Sharon.

Stone Art's Blog said...

Wow that is amazing, I envy your photography skills:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin